The drawing-room table reflects the antique manner introduced by George Bullock (d. 1818) following the opening of his Piccadilly 'Grecian Rooms' in 1812 and adopted by the architect William Atkinson for the furnishings supplied for Napoleon's St. Helena residence, under the instigation of the Prince Regent, later George IV. Bullock later opened his 'tasteful repository' in Tenterden Street, whose rooms were lauded in R. Ackermann's The Repository of Arts, 1816, for their splendid 'British Oak' furniture.
The frame of this table relates to that of a 'lady's work table' included in Christie's sale of George Bullock's stock on the premises at No. 4, Tenterden Street, 3 May 1819 (lot 71) and described as being 'of beautifully polished and variegrated oak of two colours, inlaid and mounted with ebony...'. A table of this description was illustrated in Country Life, 7 September 1995, p. 74, fig. 1.