The unsusual 'part gateleg' action of this table, with one frieze, can confidently be attributed to William Wilkinson of Ludgate Hill. Wilkinson and his cousin Thomas worked from 9 and 10 Broker's Row, Moorfields (1790-1808), specialising in patent tables. In 1807 they advertised dining-tables for which 'a space considerable smaller than is necessary for the standing of any other dining table now in use' was sufficient. Several dining-tables by Wilkinson have been recorded, some with engraved brass tablets and some stamped, including a table of this same pattern sold anonymously at Sotheby's London, 22 April 1994, lot 133 (£11,500 plus premium) (C. Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840, London, 1996, p. 55, 471-481, figs. 957-986). A further closely related example, formerly at Ashcombe, Dorset, was sold by David Parkes, Esq. at Woolley & Wallis, 13 January 2004, lot 227 (£8,800).
Prior to this, Richard Gillow had taken out a patent in 1800 for an extending table, known as the 'Patent Imperial dining-table' and the same reeded edge and plain frieze can be seen on the 'Set of mahogany Imperial dining tables on stout twined reeded legs and brass socket castors' supplied by Gillow's for Broughton Hall, Yorkshire in 1813 (M. Jourdain, Regency Furniture 1795-1830, London, rev.ed., 1965, p. 64-65, fig. 130).