The sideboard-table, with its bacchic lion tablets above tapering and reed-enriched legs that terminate in lion paws, relates to an 1804 design published in George Smith's Collection of Designs for Household Furniture and Interior Decoration, 1808, pl. 92.
The Bristol firm of Messrs. Phillips & Sons Ltd. was trading until the 1960s, and their daybooks covering the years 1912-13 and 1939-43 are retained by the Bristol Record Office. There was also a furniture 'Depot' established by E. Phillips that was listed in Union Street in the 1880s. Several Bristol cabinet-makers called Phillips are recorded in the first half of the 19th Century (G. Beard & C. Gilbert, The Dictionary of English Furniture, Leeds, 1986, pp. 695-696). However, it is possible that on account of the use of ash-lined drawers, this serving-table is of early 19th Century Scottish manufacture and retailed by Phillips of Bristol in the late 19th Century.