This side cabinet relates to the Library furnishings of Mere Hall, Cheshire that was fitted up in 1815 for Thomas Langford-Brooke (d. 1815) by Gillows of London and Lancaster (Gillow archives, Westminster City Archives, pp. 1983 and 1984). A pair of side cabinets from Mere Hall was offered anonymously, Christie's, London, 4 July 2002, lot 152. The latter were designed as window-pier 'commodes' and designed en suite with a pedestal cabinet, a further pair of side cabinets, three bookcases and a pair of upright bookcases. Their design evolved from bookcases supplied by the architect Lewis Wyatt (d. 1853) for neighbouring Tatton Park in 1811 (see N. Goodison and J. Hardy, 'Gillows at Tatton Park', Furniture History, Leeds, 1970, pls. 6-8).