This form of 'wine' or 'social' table was intended for after dinner drinking with the table pulled up infront of a fire and the decanter being passed on a pivoted coaster. Two such tables are known to have been supplied by the renowned firm of Gillows, one to R.O. Gascoigne at Parlington Hall in 1810 (C. Gilbert, Furniture at Temple Newsam House and Lotherton Hall, Leeds, 1978, vol. II, p. 376, no. 494). The other table was supplied to William, 2nd Baron Bolton, (1782-1850) for Hackwood and sold in Christie's house sale, 20-22 April 1998, lot 162.