This stylish candelabrum with lion paw feet and cascading drops relates to the work of John Blades, 'Cut Glass Manufacturer to His Majesty', whose business was established in 1770. Blades produced an extensive range of candelabra and chandeliers combining finely cut glass drops and classically inspired gilt-bronzes. The size of his business is revealed by a view of his 'upper showroom' illustrated in Ackermann's The Repository of Arts in 1809 (see J.P. Smith, The Art of Enlightenment, 1994, p. 2). A pair of cendelabra with similar paw feet is illustrated in H. Parrot Bacot, Nineteenth Century Lighting, 1987, p. 131, fig. 186.