The celebrated Haymarket emporium established by the clockmaker/jeweller Thomas Weeks (1743-1834) was titled 'The Royal Mechanical Museum' in 1788. Weeks followed the fashion established by James Cox (d. 1788) and the Swiss company Jaquet Droz for exhibiting highly ornamental automaton clocks as part of London's great trade attractions.
The present clock is distinctly designed in the French manner. Weeks made a number of similar clocks and on occasions signed them Semain as if to emphasise their French-influenced heritage.
A similar clock sold in these rooms, July 8, 1994