This sofa is closely related in form to those commissioned by Matthew Robinson Boulton (d. 1842), son of the celebrated Birmingham industrialist, for Tew Park, Oxfordshire. Supplied by George Bullock, upholder and cabinet-maker of Liverpool, whose Grecian Rooms had opened in London in 1813, their form is clearly derived from the suite of furniture supplied by Bullock for Napoleon's use at New Longwood House, St. Helena under the direction of the architect Richard Atkinson (see lot 55). Inlaid with holly in the 'Buhl' manner, and with French upholstered tri-panelled back-cushions, the Tew sofas were supplied in 1817 at a cost of £32 10s each (sold at Christie's house sale, 27-29 May 1987, lots 11 and 32).
With its inlaid seat-rail, this sofa does however share more in common with that supplied by Bullock to Sir Godfrey Webster at Battle Abbey, Sussex (sold anonymously, Sotheby's London, 17 November 1991, lot 155), as well as with those executed in the Bullock style for Great Tew in the 1840's by G. J. Morant (Christie's house sale, 27-29 May 1987, lot 198). What may be the same sofa, but differently upholstered, was offered anonymously, in these Rooms, 3 July 1997, lot 148.