The drawing-room/library table is designed and ormolu-enriched in the early 19th Century French/antique fashion popularised by R. Ackermann's Repository of Arts, 1809-1828.
A beautiful top of black-figured rosewood stands on 'Grecian-black' reeded and vase-turned pillars, whose hollow-sided 'altar' plinth displays poetic bas-relief tablets of tied myrtle-branches, while its Grecian-scrolled 'claw' is palm-flowered and terminates in bacchic lion-paws. This central 'loo' table is likely to have been commissioned by Frederick Hervey, 5th Earl and 1st Marquess of Bristol (d. 1859).
A related 'calamander wood circular loo table upon pedestal and claws, the top inlaid with a border of stars in brass and ebony' was supplied en suite with a sofa-table and card-tables for Papworth Hall, Cambridgeshire in 1810 by George Oakley, whose firm was considered at the time to be, 'the best-known for articles in the latest taste'. This table might have been supplied by Oakley for the London house in St. James's Square, as it does not feature in the surviving accounts of the Pall Mall firm of Banting, France & Co., who were employed from 1821 to provide furnishings for the 1st Marquess's various residences, which included Ickworth, Suffolk and a house in Brighton.