The table frame's Grecian palm-flowered pillar and voluted palm-wrapped Roman trusses corresponds to that on a center table commissioned by Samuel Whitbread for Southill Park, Bedfordshire and was likely to have been among the furniture supplied by Messrs. William Marsh and Thomas Tatham. While Henry Holland has traditionally thought to have been involved in the design of the furniture at Southill, the firm's employment of Charles Heathcote Tatham, Thomas's brother, from 1788 would suggest that the architect/designer and author of Etchings representing Fragments of Grecian and Roman Architectural Ornaments (1806) may have actively participated in the design (see G. Jackson-Stops, 'Southill Park', Country Life, 28 April 1994, fig.11). The table's frame pattern also appears on a library table commissioned by Whitbread's friend and neighbor William Lee Antoine following his aggrandisement of Colworth House, Bedfordshire (D. Musgrave, Regency Furniture, Faber & Faber, 1961, pl. 72).
Marsh and Tatham were part of a group of craftsmen who worked with Henry Holland and Dominique Daguerre at Southill as well as for the Prince of Wales at Carlton House (The Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1660-1840, Leeds, 1986, pp.623-624). The firm is variously listed in late eighteenth and early nineteenth century bills and directories reflecting the partnerships of George Elward, Edward Bailey and Richard Saunders and the firm worked with the Royal family under these various partnerships from 1783 through 1820. A set of four tables with elaborately carved giltwood bases are probably those supplied by Tatham with Bailey for the Crimson Drawing Room at Carlton House in 1808 (G. de Bellaigue and P. Kirkham, 'George IV and the Furnishing of Windsor Castle', Furniture History, 1972, pl.18C).
A further table with this pattern base executed in ormolu-mounted mahogany was sold by the Earl of Shelburne, Christie's London, 11 December 1986, lot 151 and was most likely to have been commissioned for Shelburne House in London, another richly furnished Regency interior. Another was sold Christie's London, 11 December, 1986, lot 151.