This tripod torchere is conceived as a Roman candelabrum in the antique manner promoted by the Rome-trained architect C.H. Tatham's, Etchings of Ancient Ornamental Architecture, 1799. Its design, with its reeded rim and Roman acanthus-wrapped pillar, derives in part from a marble antiquity from Hadrian's villa illustrated by the Italian architect G. B. Piranesi in Vasi, Candelabri e Cippi, Rome, 1778.
Designers such as Tatham, the protégé of Henry Holland, and Vulliamy & Son took advantage of the decreased number of imported luxury objets d'art from Parisian marchands-merciers during the French wars of the early 19th century. Torcheres were among the most sought after commissions they received. The overall design recalls two pairs of bronze candelabra supplied in 1807-1808 by Royal suppliers Vulliamy & Son for the 8th Lord Kinnard (d. 1826), one pair which was acquired for the Royal Pavilion at Brighton in 1971 (see R. Smith, 'Vulliamy and the Kinnaird candelabra: Craftsmanshp and Patronage in Regency London', Apollo, January 1997, pp. 30-34). Another similar in bronze, likely to have been commissioned by John Russell, 6th Duke of Bedford (d. 1839), was sold Christie's house sale, Property from Two Ducal Collections, Woburn Abbey, Bedford, 20-21 September 2004, lot 15.