The arms are those of Butler enclosed by the order of St. Patrick accolé with the same arms with those of Price-Clarke on an escutcheon of pretence, for Walter [Butler], 18th Earl of Ormonde. In 1805 he married Anna Maria Catherine, only daughter and sole heir of Joseph Hart Price-Clarke of Sutton Hall, Derbyshire.
The Earl was known to be "as engaging a person, having as many manly qualities, and to the full as much intellectual promise, as any young man of his country." Unfortunately, his qualities were "either blunted by dissipation or absorbed in the licentious influence of a fashionable connection" (Complete Peerage). The Earl was M.P. for Co. Kilkenny from 1790-1795, and Governor from 1796 until his death. He was a Lord of the Bedchamber from 1812-1813.
Ormonde was an important patron of Paul Storr, and a fine dinner service of 1808 is one of Storr's most distinctive services, its components with part-fluted bodies and figural heraldic finials formed as the Butler crest. A pair of sauce tureens from this service sold in these Rooms, 20 April 2000, lot 198.
One of the finest groups of silver from the Marquess of Ormonde's collection was allocated to the Royal Pavilion in Brighton by the English government in 1982. Other pieces from the Ormonde Service are in the collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum and the Bowes Castle Museum, Northumberland.
Another Storr jug, of similar oinochoe form, also dating to 1812 is illustrated in Timothy Schroder, The Francis E. Fowler, Jr. Collection of Silver, 1991, illus. p. 71, no. 81. A pair of spouted jugs, by Paul Storr, 1810 is illustrated in N. M. Penzer, Paul Storr 1771-1844: Silversmith and Goldsmith, 1954, illus. p. 142, pl. XXXII. When exhibited in 1890, these jugs were attributed to John Flaxman and formerly in the collection of the Prince Regent.