This grand center table reflects the taste in the early 19th century for the circular center table or loo table. Whilst this table is exceptional in its scale and the use of marble, they were initially designed for the round game of cards originally known as 'lanterloo'. A table supplied in 1810 for Papworth Hall, Cambridgeshire by George Oakley is described in his account as a calamanderwood circular loo table upon pedestal and claws. A design for a 'Circular Table' from Nicholsons' Pratical Cabinet Maker, 1826-7, pl. 69, shows a table with a bold acanthus carved stem and base with tripartite plinth mounted with anthemia and large claw feet, all similar to the current base.
Intricate specimen marble tops of this type were often ordered by British gentleman while undertaking their 'Grand Tour' of Europe in the second half of the 18th century and into the 19th century. The top with the ornate radiating design is similar in design to a pair of tops, acquired by the connoisseur Patrick Home of Wedderburn Castle and Paxton House, Scotland whilst on tour in Italy, which were later mounted on bases by the Edinburgh cabinet-maker, William Trotter, and sold, The Property of a Lady, Christie's, Edinburgh, 29 April 1992, lot 449. It is possible that this table, whilst firmly Regency in taste, was produced by an Italian craftsman to an English design as the marbles between the top and base are consistent.