The inscription reads:
al-'izz wa al-iqbal wa a l-dawla wa al-salama wa al-sa'ada wa al-nusra wa a l-ni'ma wa al-rahma wa al-shukra wa al-sha kira wa al-shifa'a
"Glory and Prosperity and Wealth and Well-being and Happiness and Success and Grace (of God) and Mercy and Gratitude and Gratefulness and Intercession (of the prophet)"
Uzgend (now Samarkand) was the former capital of the Western Karakhanids and maintained its importance until the year 1212 when the Khwarazmshahs put an end to the empire of this Khanate. This dish with its interesting decoration is distinctly different from the type of brass work normally associated with Khorassan. The dish and the brass column (lot 4) were acquired in this region in the 1950s. They were found together with some silver dirhams one of which was minted in 559/1163-4 by the ruler of Ferghana, Ibrahim ibn Husayn under the title Arslan Shah.
Davidovich, E.A.: The Karakhanids in History of Civilisations in Central Asia, Vol.IV, Paris 1998, pp.119-143