Located in the Bresle valley between Normandy and Picardy, the château d'Eu was reconstructed in 1578 by Henri le Balafre, duc de Guise. In the eighteenth century it was the home of the ducs de Maine and subsequently Orleans. The chteau was seized during the Revolution and most of its furnishings either sold or destroyed. In 1814 it was restituted to the dowager duchesse d'Orleans, daughter of the duc de Penthièvre, the future Louis-Philippe, who in 1821 started to restore and refurnish the château. The dressing-table was most certainly supplied during this period of redecoration. A salle des Conseils, where the government could sit was also installed and in 1843, Louis-Philippe and his family entertained Queen Victoria in considerable style.