Please note, this lot is property of the Neue Galerie New York and is being sold to benefit the museum's Aquisitions Fund.
The following three lots originally formed part of fixtures and furnishings at the Vanderbilt mansion at 1048 Fifth Avenue in New York City. Commissioned by the industrialist William Starr Miller, the building was completed by the noted architectural firm of Carrere and Hastings in 1914. The chandeliers are original to the house, and remained in place when Mrs. Cornelius Vanderbilt III moved into the home in 1945.
Known as "Her Grace," Grace Wilson Vanderbilt began her career as one of New York's most celebrated grande dames in the mansion she shared with her husband at 640 Fifth Avenue. With treasures from her trips abroad, Grace filled the house with Gobelin tapestries, Savonnerie carpets and Louis XVI boiseries - some of which were brought directly from Versailles. After the death of her husband, the home at 640 Fifth Avenue was sold to William Waldorf Astoria and Grace moved uptown to the smaller mansion at 1048 Fifth Avenue. Grace, the last bastion of New York's Gilded Age, remained in the home until her death in 1953.