Burlington Fine Arts Club, Exhibition of Ancient Greek Art, London, 1904, p. 52, no. B59, pl. LXVII.
According to Mme. E. Castellani four bronze herms were found together in 1883 at Torre del Greco, cf. D. G. Mitten and S. F. Doeringer, Master Bronzes from the Classical World, The Fogg Art Museum, 1968, p. 296, no. 294. This illustrates one which was also exhibited at the Burlington Fine Arts Club, 1904, no. D106 "apparently from the Castellani collection: A. Castellani, vente de Rome (1884), no. 277; Collection A. Dutuit, Htel Drouot, Paris, 1897, lot 20, pl. 23; coll. G. Salting" and now the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the William Randolph Hearst Collection (51.18.9). See also Pompeji, Zrich, 1974, p. 137, no. 246, for one from the collection of George Ortiz; and Victoria and Albert Museum, London, A. 585-1910 for another.
The opening under the arms is similar to those on the double herms from the second ship from Nemi which ended in long tapering pillars and have been reconstructed as supports for the ship's balustrade, cf. G. Ucelli, Le navi di Nemi, Rome, 1950, p. 175, fig. 189 and p. 220ff., figs. 241-243.