Crown Prince Frederick, the Danish Regent, commissioned the first Flora Danica service in 1790, with the intention of presenting it as a gift to the Empress of Russia, Catherine II. However, after her death in 1796 this was abandoned, and he took possession of it for his own household.
The service is decorated with the flowers of Denmark (Flora Danica) and each piece is hand painted, with the Latin botanical name of each specimen on the underside of each piece. The porcelain is produced in relatively small quantities at the factory at Frederiksborg. The Prince's original service is now at Rosenborg, in the Turret room of the ancient palace.