This mirror with its exquisite use of brass-inlay and verre eglomise is reminiscent of Heinrich Gambs (1765-1831). Little Russian furniture of this period is signed and Gambs is not believed to have signed any of his work, so that any attributions rely on the recurrence of verre eglomise plaques and bronze decoration. Gambs began his career in his native Germany under David Roentgen, later moving to Russia where by 1793, he became a leading figure amongst the cabinet-makers of St. Petersburg. Gambs was principally employed in supplying the Imperial residences, including Pavlovsk, Tsarskve Selo and the Winter Palace. By the end of the 18th Century, Empress Maria Feodorovna was one of his most important clients.