The Lomonosov Porcelain Factory, located in St. Petersburg, was formerly known as the Imperial Factory until the October Revolution of 1917. Under state ownership, the art director, Sergei Chekhonine, produced politically motivated designs in bright colours, often using the old imperial factory moulds. These propaganda sets were known to be production from 1925. COMPARATIVE LITERATURE
A similar lot was sold, Sotheby's New York, English and Continental Silver and Chess Sets, 4-5th October 1979, lot 568.
This is set is also illustrated in Victor Keats, The Illustrated Guide to World Chess Sets, Batsford 1985, page 169 ill. 195