Newsboy is a well-known merchant brigantine of 1854 designed in Boston by Dennison J. Lawler in the second half of the 19th century. Owned by Danby & Cunningham Company of Boston, Mass., she was built in Owls Head, Maine by Capt. Elisha Brown. The 290-ton ship was launched in June 1854. Her length was 111' and she had a beam of 27' with a draft of 11'. She engaged in the "Triangular Trade", shipping wine, oil, and fruits from the Mediterranean to the West Indies and returning to New England with sugar, molasses and rum. She was a very fast and profitable vessel for her day.