The Rex was the largest Italian passenger ship and the only Italian holder of the Blue Riband. She was built by Ansaldo, Sestri Ponente and had a GRT of 51,062. On August 1, 1931 she was launched for Navigazione Generale Italiana, and in January 1932 became the property of the new 'Italia' Flotta Riunite. On September 27, she made her maiden voyage from Genoa to New York. Then, on September 8, 1944 she was attacked by British aircraft south of Trieste and caught fire. After another rocket attack, she fell over on her port side and sank in shallow water.