The parlour chair pattern with fretted vase splat incorporating addorsed and voluted ribbon-scrolls issuing from the crest-rail relates to patterns in Robert Manwaring's, The Cabinet and Chair-Makers Real Friend and Companion, 1765.
Keir House, near Dunblane, Perthshire was the historical seat of the Stirlings of Keir and Cawder until its sale in 1975. Keir passed down through several generations of Stirlings to the colourful James Stirling, proprietor of Keir from 1693 - 1715. A supporter of the Stuarts, he was tried for high treason in 1708 after the failed Jacobite invasion of that year and acquitted. Fortunately the troubled times did not prevent the constant improvement of the house and estate. Archibald Stirling, 12th of Keir (1710-1783), inherited Keir in 1757 and during the 1760s and 1770s dramatically changed the use and look of the lands of Keir and Cawder. He introduced the fine up-to-date stucco work throughout the interior of Keir in the early 1760s, possibly just after his marriage to Ann Hay in 1762.