The road from Applecross to Kenmore in Wester Ross, the Highlands, borders some of the most beautiful scenery in that area of Scotland. Until the early 19th century town of Applecross was only accessible from the sea. The construction of the road from Kishorn over the Bealach na Ba, or Pass of the Cattle, in 1822 brought the town's isolation to an end. However the coastal communities to the north of the town were not served by a road until late into the 20th century when the connection to Kenmore was completed in 1976. It was opened by Princess Margaret on the morning of 18 September 1976.