The sculptor William Theed the Younger (d. 1891) was working in Rome in 1844, when he received commissions from Prince Albert for sculpture for Osborne House. He was encouraged to return to England in 1848. The original version of this classical figure, inspired by Greek mythology and portraying the youth Narcissus, who was metamorphosised into a flower, was commissioned by Prince Albert and executed in 1847. The sculptor also owned a version of Narcissus, whose composition was indebted to Theed's studies in Rome with B. Thorvaldsen, and he exhibited it at the 1857 Manchester Exhibition of Art Treasures. While another belonging to Lord Fairhaven (d. 1966), likewise dated 'Rome 1848' was set up at Anglesey Abbey, Cambridgeshire in 1947 (see J. P. S. Davis, Antique Garden Ornament, Woodbridge, 1991, pl. 57).