The present sculpture was given to the Royal United Services Institute for Defence Studies in Whitehall, London, by Colonel F C Trench Gascoigne, 2nd Yorkshire Volunteers, Captain of the 66th Foot and sometimes High Sheriff of Yorkshire and County Limerick in 1868. The statue was probably originally aquired by family members of the Colonel's wife, Mary Oliver-Gascoigne, of Parlington Park, Yorkshire. It has remained in the possesion of the Royal United Services Institute ever since.
Fred Licht, Canova, Abbeville Press, New York 1983. Pages 191-3, see pl.187-88.