Raised in a family of French jewellers, André Chervin was imbued with the traditions of French jewellery manufacturing. At the end of the Second World War, and with Europe in tatters, he and Serge Carponcy headed for New York, where they felt their prospects would be far better. They went to work for the jewellery manufacturing firm Louis Feron and in 1954, they established their own business at 12 East 52nd Street. Carvin French is an amalgamtion of their two names. The firm went on to work for all the great houses, such as Bulgari, Cartier, Tiffany, Van Cleef & Arpels and Harry Winston.