John Gee (d. circa 1824), became partner to Benjamin Crompton, 'Turner in ordinary to George III' in about 1779. Gee was sworn in with his partner Thomas Aycliffe in 1787 but is only listed as 'Chairmaker and Turner to his Majesty' at 49 Wardour Street, Soho from 1799. Despite the obvious demand for their seat furniture, few commissions have been recorded, one is for supplying chairs to Lord Wilton at Heaton Hall in 1790. In 1804 Gee's son joined the partnership, which was then re-named Gee & Sons, and Gee himself only retired in 1823. The stamp GEE is often found in combination with other initials, probably those of his workshop assistants.
An almost identical side chair, stamped J. Gee, with slightly different toprail, is illustrated in Margaret Jourdain, Regency Furniture 1795-1830, Country Life, revised edition, 1965.
A set of six similar chairs, also stamped GEE, were sold at Christie's London, 21 November 1990, lot 189 (£4,180).