The successful partnership of Mack, Williams and Gibton was formed in 1812 and the firm flourished under this name until the death of John Mack in 1829. From 1815 onwards the firm began to stamp or label their furniture and on the death of Mack (d.1829), they were known as Williams and Gibton until Gibton's death in 1842. The firm regularly labeled their furniture and used a system of an impressed four digit number together with a letter.
The firm is recognized for the superb timbers employed and their high quality of workmanship which is often compared to Gillows of Lancaster and London. Much of the furniture they produced was inspired by designs published by Thomas Hope and George Smith.
John Mack (d.1829) originally founded the firm of Mack and Gibton with Robert Gibton circa 1803 in Stafford Street, Dublin. Prior to this they were both individually listed in the Dublin directories from 1784 and 1790 respectively. After the death of Robert Gibton in 1812 he was succeeded by his son William, and with the addition of Zachariah Williams in 1812 the partnership of Mack, Williams and Gibton was officially established.
In 1806 the firm were appointed 'Upholsterers & Cabinet Makers to his Majesty, His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant, and his majesty's Board of works.' For many years they supplied and restored furniture for important public buildings in Ireland including the Four Courts, the War Office, the Barracks Office, Dublin Castle and the Treasury and Viceregal Lodge. Ballynegall, Co.Westmeath, Oakley Park, Co.Meath and Strokestown, Co.Roscommon are included among some of their distinguished private commissions.