This impressive set of mahogany dining-chairs demonstrates the ardent fashion for French furniture in Holland in the 18th Century. Indeed, French furniture was imported in such large quantities into Holland that in the early 1770's cabinet-makers in Amsterdam and the Hague demanded a ban on this threat to their livelihood. As a result, numerous Dutch cabinet-makers attempted to emulate the fashionable French style. (R.J. Baarsen, 'In de commode van Parijs tot Den Haah', Matthijs Horrix (1735-1809), een meubelmaker in Den Haag in de tweede helft van de 18de eeuw', Oud Holland 107 (1993), p. 163).
While this 'Brownlow' suite was not introduced to Belton House, Lincolnshire until after 1830, it may have formed part of the 'French' decorations introduced to Belton by John Cust, 2nd Baron Brownlow, 1st Early Brownlow and Viscount Alford (d. 1853). Shortly before his death, the Earl inherited the celebrated Bridgewater collections at Ashridge House, Hertfordshire and Carlton House Terrace, London, so it may have been included amongst the furnishings transported from these properties. The style would also reflect the taste of Adelbert, 3rd Earl Brownlow (d. 1921), and a 'French' Dining Room was amongst his introductions to Belton in the 1870s, following his marriage to Adelaide, daughter of the Early of Shrewsbury.