The chairs can be seen in a photograph of the Music Room at the Duke's Newport home, Rough Point, from the 1960s. The lacquer cabinet-on-stand (lot 400) was also originally in the Music Room and can be seen in this same photograph. It is not certain when Doris Duke would have moved these pieces to the Oak Room at Duke Farms, where they have remained to this day.
At the end of famed Bellevue Avenue and perched dramatically above the Atlantic, Rough Point is one of America's most storied summer houses. Originally built in 1888 by Peabody & Stearns and landscaped by Frederick Law Olmstead for Frederick Vanderbilt, a grandson of Cornelius Vanderbilt, it was purchased by James B. Duke in 1922. The Dukes immediatedly hired Horace Trumbauer to update the interiors, and the Music Room was part of the east wing added in 1922. Trumbauer had also built the Duke House on the corner of 78th Steet and Fifth Avenue, one of the most elegant private mansions ever built in New York, and certainly one of finest still standing. He had also provided the plans for James Duke's enormous château at Duke Farms, however, only the foundation and landscaping were finished. The Music Room, like many of the formal interiors in New York, reflects the Duke's interest in 18th century French architecture and decorative arts and was furnished with impressive pieces to match the grand interior space.