James Shruder's first mark was entered as largeworker, 1 Wardour Street, St Ann's Westminster, on 1 August 1737. His second and third marks were entered in Greek Street, Soho as working at the Golden Ewer in Spur Street, Leicester Square; other addresses at Leicester Square are also noted. There is no record of his apprenticeship or freedom but the best of his work indicates perhaps a German origin or training in its muscular and finely designed and wrought rococo plate. His choices as a designer are evidenced in a highly original trade card engraved by J. Warburton, no less than in the unusual asymmetrical nozzles in the present set of candlesticks. Certainly he was well versed in current international design; the pattern for these candlesticks is ultimately derived from Juste-Aurele Meissonnier, Livre de Chandeliers de Sculpture en Argent, engraved by Huquier, circa 1737.
Assuming that the candlesticks sold Christie's, London, in 1957 referenced above are the same as the present set, they had at that time extended plain sockets which increased their height by about an inch; these have since been removed to no detriment to the overall balance and form. Shruder's reputation at his height was as one of the finest plateworkers of his day; nevertheless he is recorded in 1749 as bankrupt at St Martin's in the Fields (The Gentleman's Magazine, p.285).