The Grecian-scrolled library bergeres have incised 'tablet' rails and truss-pillared arms with volutes enriched with patterae en suite with the legs. They formed part of a suite of four mahogany caned Library chairs supplied in 1814 for George Home's library at Paxton House, Berwickshire by William Trotter (d.1833) of Princes Street, Edinburgh, at a cost of £7.70 each. They were invoiced on the 30th June as above and described '4 mahogany Caned Library Chairs the tops of elbows stuffed in fine cloth, welted with silk gimp, finished on brass castors @ 147/- £29.8.0' (Bamford, op.cit.). A single bergere of this pattern (possibly from Paxton) was sold anonymously, Sotheby's London, 14 July 1995, lot 109. Their pattern would appear to suit a magnificent mahogany book-cabinet with hermed pilasters capped by Grecian busts now shown in the Bust Room at Paxton (N. Tanter, Paxton House, 1993, fig. 33).