LOUIS XVI ORMOLU TWO-BRANCH WALL-LIGHTS
AFTER THE MODEL ATTRIBUTED TO JEAN-LOUIS PRIEUR
Designed in the Louis XVI 'gôut grec' style of circa 1765-70, these wall-lights belong to the celebrated group traditionally associated with Jean-Louis Prieur (maître in 1752). This attribution is based upon their stylistic affinity with an album of designs for wall-lights, formerly attributed to Richard de Lalonde but now thought to be by Prieur, which is variously divided between the Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris and the J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles. Two further pairs of wall-lights of identical model to those without the pendant portrait medallion are recorded:- one is conserved in the Würtembergisches Landesmuseum, Stuttgart, whilst a further pair is in the Royal Palace, Stockholm (H. Ottomeyer, P. Pröschel et al., Vergoldete Bronzen, Munich, 1986, p.173, 3.5.6). A further pair, but with three lights and swagged with chains, remains at Drottningholm.
An approximate date for this group is given by the portrait of the Marquis de Marigny, which featured a wall-light of this overall form in the background and was exhibited in the Paris Salon of 1769 (S. Eriksen, Early Neo-Classicism in France, London, 1974, pl.210, p.353).