In 1803, during the Napoleonic Wars, the magnificent neo-Classical silver dinner-service by the Parisian maker Robert-Joseph Auguste and Frantz-Peter Bundsen of Hanover, made during the last quarter of the 18th century for the Hanover court, was removed to England. It was returned to Hanover in 1816.
Some additions were ordered in anticipation of a state visit to his German kingdom by King George IV of England in 1821. From 1820 up to and including 1825 various pieces, such as the following five lots, were supplied by Johann-Christian-Conrad Neuthardt and the court-jeweller Franz-Anton-Hans Nübell.
Major pieces from the original service are to be found in the Rothschild Collection at Waddesdon, the Louvre Museum, Paris and the Getty Museum, Los Angeles. The history of the service, previously called the Herrenhausen Service, is discussed in detail by Lorenz Seelig in 'The King George III silver service by Robert-Joseph Auguste and Frantz-Peter Bundsen: goldsmiths' art in the neoclassical style in Paris, London and Hanover', Silver Society of Canada, 2010, Vol. 13 pp. 44-91.
THE PROPERTY FROM A DISTINGUISHED PRIVATE COLLECTION