Georges Jacob, maître in 1765.
These six chairs were supplied in July 1781 by Georges Jacob for the comtesse de Provence's Salle des Nobles or Premier Salon at the château de Brunoy. The set originally comprised thirty chaises, two canapés, four large fauteuils, six other fauteuils, a firescreen, a screen and six voyeuses. The comte de Provence was invoiced 5,064 livres for the set. In 1781, George Jacob received the considerable sum of 29,573 livres for furniture supplied to the comte de Provence.
Jacob's workshop undertook to paint the set in chipolain et d'étrempe à plusieurs couches d'apprêt, à deux couches de teinte au blanc de céruse, vernis et enveloppées de papier. The chairs were covered in a green-painted cotton by the tapissier Poussin.
In September 1793 an inventory of the château was carried out. Only two canapés, four fauteuils, eighteen chaises, six voyeuses, the firescreen and the screen were listed and these were all sold off in several lots.
Six chaises from the set and with the same label are in the Palais Rohan, Strasbourg and have been there since the Empire period.
The comte de Provence purchased the château de Brunoy in 1774 from the marquis de Brunoy, son of the banker Paris de Montmartel. He commissioned the architect Chalgrin to restore and enlarge the existing château with an apartment for himself and the comtesse on the ground floor. The doors of the Salle des Nobles were surmounted by reliefs carved with putti flanking vases by the sculptor François Duret. The mirrors were supplied by Darnault, the bronzes by Dartois and Léveillé, and the clocks by Lepaute. The boiseries were carved by Cauvet.
The château was restricted to guests and to staff. Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette presided at the inauguration of the theatre in November 1780. The decoration of this theatre was designed by Jean Demosthene Dugourc.