A similar set of eight chairs and eight armchairs was delivered in 1841 to King Louis-Philippe for the Château de Pau.
Formerly one of Henri IV's favorite residences, the Château de Pau was restored from 1838 onwards for the new King, formerly the Duc of Orléans, by the architect Pierre-Bernard Lefranc, a pupil of Percier and Fontaine. The house was refurbished in the Gothic, Renaissance and Dutch 17th century styles, which were very popular at the time.
Joseph-Pierre-Antoine Jeanselme supplied the carcasses, whilst the upholsterer Munier supplied the leather covering. They were designed for the salon d'attente where they remain.
This lot, also conceived in the 17th century style and bearing very similar leather covering, was most probably executed shortly after the Pau suite, following the fashion launched by the Royal family.