The following nine lots (1036-1044) were removed from Dartmouth House, 37 Charles Street, Mayfair, London, by T. Crowther & Son Ltd. in 1970. The house, the home of The English Speaking Union, was created from two Georgian terraced houses, No. 37 and No. 38 Charles Street, by Edward Charles Baring. Baring and his wife, the former Louisa Bulteel of an important Devonshire family, acquired No. 37 in 1870, but work was not commenced until 1886, a year after Baring was created the first Lord Revelstoke. During 1890, Revelstoke engaged the building firm of Cubitts to carry out the construction work and the fashionable decorating firm of Turner Lord worked on the interior design. It was at this time that Nos. 37 and 38 were united. Revelstoke wanted an impressive showplace for his important collection of Antique French furniture.
The following lots are elements that embellished the ante room of his magnificent ballroom.
Lord Revelstoke died in 1896, his wife having predeceased him. Christie's had sold his French furniture during 1893 and the house was sold to Lord Dartmouth in 1900. In 1926 it was bought from the Hon. Mrs Robert Lindsay by the English Speaking Union.