The present ewers are after the set modeled by Johann Joachim Kändler specifically as a diplomatic gift to Louis XV. In 1742 two white glazed ewers and three vases were sent to the French Court as a massive garniture. The ewers were emblematic of Water and Air, two of the vases as Earth and Fire. The third vase, the centerpiece, incorporated the king's profile and initials. See M. Cassidy-Geiger, ed., Fragile Diplomacy, Meissen Porcelain for the European Courts, ca. 1710-63, New Haven, 2007, pp. 156-157, fig. 7-23 and 7-24a-d.