William Wilkinson (d. 1833) was an upholsterer and cabinet-maker, who traded from 1808 at 14 Ludgate Hill, London. He is particularly known for his patent furniture which was a great success. His sons, William and Charles joined him in the business and it continued after their father's death as William & Charles Wilkinson. The stamp on this table was used until circa 1820 (The Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1660-1840, Leeds, 1986, pp. 977-978).