The splendid exhibition on the Dutch rococo style, which was staged at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam in late 2001/early 2002 brought various new aspects of Dutch chair-making in the mid-18th century to light. The tantalising discovery of the invoice for a set chairs, which were supplied to the town hall of Edam, just north of Amsterdam, by the behanger or upholsterer Marinus Penninck in 1739, indicates that a mature rococo style was already apparent in Amsterdam in the late 1730s. These asymmetric chairs were executed by Jan Ermans and are profusely carved with rockwork, foliate scrolls and flower-trails, demonstrating his mastery of the new style. The present chairs, executed in mahogany and later gilt-japanned, incorporate several elements of the so-called Ermans chairs, but their shape and various aspects of their carving relate more closely to the chairs in the Fundatie van Renswoude in Utrecht, which were supplied by Johannes Hageman in 1764 (R. Baarsen et. al., Rococo in Nederland, Zwolle/Amsterdam, 2001, no. 164, pp. 262-264 and no. 167. pp. 269-270).