These soup-plates are from the Pelham dinner-service, which was commissioned by Charles Anderson Pelham Esq., from two of the leading silversmiths of the late 18th and early 19th century. He first commissioned the renowned silversmiths and retailers John Parker and Edward Wakelin to produce a dinner-service with the elegant palm motifs. The records of the commission survive in the company's ledgers which are now preserved in the Victoria and Albert Museum. Thirty-eight years later he commissioned the celebrated workshop of Paul Storr to follow the unusual design of the earlier service.
Charles Anderson had assumed the name and arms of Pelham on the death of his maternal great-uncle Charles Pelham Esq. (d.1763) of Brocklesby. Charles Anderson Pelham stood as M.P. for Beverley from 1768 until 1774 and from 1774 until 1794 was M.P. for Lincoln. In 1794 he was elevated to the peerage as Baron Yarborough of Yarborough, co. Lincoln. His son, also Charles, was created Earl of Yarborough in 1837.