Sir Charles Henry Coote, 9th Bt. (1792-1864)
Sir Charles Henry Coote, 9th Bt. (1792-1864), was the son of Chidley Coote (d.1799) and his wife Elizabeth Anne. On the death of his kinsman Sir Charles Henry Coote, 7th Earl of Mountrath, in 1802, he succeeded by special remainder to the baronetcy while the other titles became extinct. The 9th baronet went on to marry Caroline (d.1871), daughter of John Whaley of Whaley Abbey. Between 1821 and 1824 Sir Charles built Ballyfin House, Mountrath, replacing a house built in 1778 by William Wellesley-Pole, 3rd Earl of Mornington, brother of the Duke of Wellington. The house was described as the grandest and most lavishly appointed early nineteenth century classical house in Ireland with an interior decorated with rich plasterwork and scagliola columns. The present plates form just a small portion of a vast service dating from 1812 which includes a massive pair of candelabra by Benjamin Smith (Lyon and Turnbull, London, 23 November 2008, lot 158), a suite of salvers by William Burwash, (Christie's, New York, 27 October 1992, lots 218 and 219); sets of dinner and soup plates (Christie's, New York, 19 October 1981, lots 110 and 111) and a pair of chamber candlesticks by Story and Elliott (Christie's, New York, 30 October 1991, lot 166).