These elegant parlour chairs, with 'tablet' backs and 'medallion' seats, reflect the George III 'Roman' fashion promoted in the 1770s by architects such as James Wyatt (d. 1813); while their pillared and antique-fluted backs relate to chair patterns in A. Hepplewhite & Co.'s Cabinet-Maker and Upholsterer's Guide, 1788. The pattern for this chair, with 'cabled' legs, features in Gillows' 1797 Estimate Sketch Book, and was invented for Robert Peel (L. Boynton, Gillow Furniture Designs 1760-1800, Royston, 1995, fig. 286). The latter chairs were executed by John Savage, who is likely to be the Lancaster cabinet-maker (d. 1826) employed since the mid-1780s as a Gillows journeyman, and the manufacturer of one of their 1794 library chairs, featuring the same medallioned seat pattern (ibid., fig. 246). The present chairs bear the inscription 'Collins' and 'Oakey' who are likely to be the craftsmen, although they are not recorded in Boynton's Index of (Gillows) Workmen.