These chairs once formed part of the collection of the celebrated Philadelphia connoisseur Henry McIlhenny. Henry McIlhenny's distinguished career at the Philadelphia Museum of Art spanned over five decades where he served first as Curator of Decorative Arts (1935-1964), then as Trustee, and ultimately, as Chairman of the Board. His scholarly acumen and astute eye allowed him to assemble a magnificent collection of fine and decorative arts at his home in Rittenhouse Square and his castle at Glenveagh, Country Donegal. Rittenhouse Square displayed what John Richardson called 'the best private collection of its kind in the country' of French paintings from the Romantics to post-Impressionism. The home was decorated by Denning and Fourcade in the early 1970s. While much of his collection of fine and decorative arts were bequeathed to the Philadelphia Museum upon his death, Christie's was honored to sell many fine examples from his collection in our sale of 20-21 May 1987, which included this superb set of chairs.