The decoration on the Sudell Service, described in the factory's records as Beau bleu, peint en oiseaux s'après la Colection [sic] d'histoire naturelle de Buffon, et Armoirie etc. Ass[iette] N.. 140 des dessins is taken from François Nicolas Martinet's illustrations for the comte de Buffon's Histoire naturelle des oiseaux published in ten volumes between 1770 and 1786. The factory began using a copy of this treatise as a basis for decoration from about 1781.
The service, commissioned for an Englishman and delivered through the auspises of Jean-Frédéric Perregaux and his partner J. Lanos on 31 December 1792, was sold without the usual trade discount of 9 However, it is interesting to note that both men received porcelain gifts instead - payment in kind for their assistance with such a valuable order. See David Peters, Sèvres Plates and Services of the 18th Century, 2005, vol. IV, cat. no. 92-31 and vol. VI, p. 1470 for a detailed discussion of the commission and its history.