The figure of Cupid was originally conceived by Falconet in marble in 1755 and exhibited at the Salon of that year. When he became director of the Sèvres porcelain factory in 1758, Falconet adapted the model to be executed in biscuit porcelain.
The bases are often glazed, with inscriptions reserved against a variety of ground colours, most often bleu lapis or bleu Nouveau. They are also known in biscuit with the inscription enameled in blue.
See Carl C. Dauterman, The Wrightsman Collection of Porcelain, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1970, nos. 119 a&b; Rosalind Savill, Catalogue of Sèvres Porcelain, The Wallace Collection, London, 1988, vol. ii, pp. 823-834; and Aileen Dawson, French Porcelain, A Catalogue of the British Museum Collection, London, 1994, nos. 141 and 143.