The monogram on the present cup and saucer was tentatively identified by David Peters in 1997 as that of Franois-Joachim de Pierre de Bernis (1715-1795), the only French cardinal at the time the present lot was made known to have patronized the Svres factory. However, it was not until 1832 that the Sacred Congregation of Ceremonies codified at fifteen the number of tassels worn by Cardinals on their hats. Prior to this date, anywhere from three and fifteen were used, with five the usual number. See Bruno Bernhard Heim, Heraldry in the Catholic Church: Its origins, customs, and laws, London, 1978.
tienne-Henry Le Guay, pre, active at Vincennes and Svres as a painter of friezes and as a gilder, 1748-1749, 1751-1796.