The present pieces are from a larger cabaret that originally also included a milk-jug, a basin, and four more cups and saucers. Entered into the saleroom registers on 29 August 1810 (Registre Vu 1, folio 98 verso, n. 258-45), the description read: cabaret à déjeuner cartels de fleurs fond d'or et ornements brunis à l'effet. The gilder's mark of Charles-Marie-Pierre Boitel for 16 and 29 July of that year appear on the coffee-pot and cups.
For the watercolour and pencil rendering of the design for the sugar-bowl, dated 1801, see Tamara Préaud, et al., The Sèvres Porcelain Manuafactory: Alexandre Brogniart and the Triumph of Art and Industry, 1800-1847, Bart Center for Graduate Studies in the Decorative Arts, 1997, p. 168, no. 3. [fig. 1]