Hans Konrad Hottinger, a Paris banker from a Swiss family, founded the Paris banking firm of R. Hottinger et Companie in 1786 with his partner Denis de Rougemont. The firm closed four years later and Hottinger traveled to London in 1793. After five years in England, he returned to Paris, founding the new firm of Hottinger et Cie.
The following flower painters are responsible for the decoration of the present part service:
Mme Genévieve-Louise Bouillat, active 1776-1798
Mme Marie-Jeanne-Barbe Bunel, active 1775-1817
Michel-Gabriel Commelin, active 1768-1802
Mlle Marie-Louise-Françoise-Sophie Fontaine, active 1777-1794
Jacques-François-Louis de Laroche, active 1758-1801
Mme Marie Marguerite-Gabrielle Le Bel, active 1774-1790, 1804-1805
Mme Jeanne-Joséphine Roguier, active 1782-1793
Pierre-Joseph-André Viellard fils, active 1783-1793
Mlle Marie-Claude-Sophie Xhrouuet, active 1775-1788
In his entry for this service, David Peters comments that factory records attribute the gilding of this service to Weydinger. However, of the pieces comprising the present lot, only two have a gilder's mark: one plate with that for François Mirey, active 1787-1792 and another with that for Henry-François Vincent père, active 1753-1806.